Monday, September 9, 2013

Faith & Work Series - Introduction

Faith & Work Series
9-1-13


Introduction to Series
During my first job right out of college, I had a large yucca plant (small tree) in my office. I was told that it was a hearty plant, and that I should have no fear of killing it.  And for a while that seemed the case.  However, after months went by, it was clear that even this plant was no match for my reverse-green thumb.  If you have ever planted plants, you know there are different kinds of plants.  Some plants need direct sun, and will perish or flourish, depending on the amount of sun it receives.  Another plant requiring shade, will have its potential destroyed if put in direct sunlight.  We need to know what a plant needs to grow and flourish.  Second, we need to find an appropriate environment for it. 
It is an unfortunate truth that many people feel like mis-planted plants.  We feel we are not in a place or ministry where we could flourish. 

Do these describe you?
ð       I feel I am missing something in my life and service to God.
ð       I feel that I am capable of accomplishing more than I currently am achieving.
ð       I feel there is something wrong with me because I am still not able to figure out what my specific purpose is.
ð       I know that God wants to use me in a meaningful way, but I don’t know how.
ð       I want to be more fruitful and make a difference with my life.
ð       When I do try to serve, I often do so in areas that are not using my gifts and abilities. 

If any of these describe you, you are by far not alone.
We have a feeling that we are almost missing our calling.  Many of us want to serve God—and we know we SHOULD serve—but it is difficult to know where.  We make excuses that we don’t have time.  Often it is a tool of Satan to make us think we are too busy, but when we find something that God has gifted us in and we are passionate about, then we make time for it. 
Or perhaps we have served at one point, but not anymore.  At previous (unnamed) churches, I often heard, “I have done my time and served; now it’s someone else’s turn.”  Please don’t ever say that.  God has called us all to a life of serve.  You NEVER retire from serving the Lord until you are dead (and actually then you will continue to serve throughout eternity).

Balance of Two Ideas
We want to balance two big ideas in this series:
·         Seeing inherent value in the work we do
·         Seeing value in the call to a specific ministry working towards the kingdom of God
Today we focus on the first, and we slowly then go into the next over the next few weeks


Our Calling in the Kingdom of God
Unfortunately, many don’t see themselves as a part of God’s kingdom yet.  We are a part of the kingdom now—as soon as we accepted the sacrifice of Christ.  We were sealed with the Holy Spirit, and called to join the body of believers  Our goal as believers, as well as our goal at The Source, is to work towards the kingdom of God.  Believers who do nothing for the kingdom of God, are the same as those who sit around and refuse to work when everyone else is. 

Two Barriers to our Goal in the Kingdom
There are basic reasons why people are pulled away from being an active part of God’s kingdom.  The first is because they are pulled more into another (earthly) world, than they are the kingdom.  Secondly, it is because they don’t know HOW they can effectively be a part of the kingdom work here.  This series will help us more aware of how we can actively be a part of the kingdom in the lives we already live today (with minimal added to our schedules).


Righteous Prospering

Proverbs 11:10
When the righteous prosper, the city rejoices; when the wicked perish, there are shouts of joy.

In this passage is a parallel thought:
o   The righteous prospering
o   The wicked perishing. 
When the righteous prosper the community changes.  There is a ‘justice’ that can happen when the righteous are doing what there were called to in the kingdom of God.  Often Christians strive towards social Justice as a goal unto itself, but they forget, or just don’t realize, that when the righteous live righteously, social justice becomes a by-product.  We see that when the Righteous prosper, the poor are judged fairly and the land will be ruled wisely. 



No comments:

Post a Comment